This map identifies the multiple perspectives and practices that I can draw on when working in an interdisciplinary manner.
Goal #1 CPPA MOOC
I ahve been interacting on the OSSEMOOC site - this is a site developed for School Leaders in Ontario and it has made me start wondering about developing this sort of site for School Leaders in Canterbury. I have already presented the idea to the Canterbury Primary Principals Association Executive and have had a positive response so far. There is more work to be done in the investigating phase and then an action plan is needed. I want to keep moving on this.
Goal #2 Community of Learning
I am interested to see where this concept will take schools in Christchurch. First step for me is to find out what schools in our geographical area will be interested in making connections and joining together in order to possibly create something better that we could on our own - after all that is the purpose of collaboration as I see it.
The benefits and challenges of working in a more interdisciplinary environment.
An interdisciplinary approach is not new to primary school teachers. It has come under the guise of: a thematic approach; inquiry learning; and integrated units and more recently it is in project -based learning; rich learning tasks; passion projects; 20% time. While each of these approaches is slightly different I believe the intent from the educators has been similar - to provide authentic learning experiences where students are working across disciplines to develop understandings about key concepts; essentially deeper learning for the students. Innovative educators have improving student achievement foremost in their minds as they work to create an engaging curriculum for their students.
In order for educators to create these authentic learning experiences they need to have a good understanding of each discipline - this is where primary teachers have an advantage as our training ensures that we have an understanding of each key curriculum area.
Drake and Burns (2004) use this diagram to explain the interdisciplinary approach. They argue that students often achieve well in seemingly less connected areas when they are engaged in learning in this approach.
"Comprehension, for example, is comprehension, whether taught in a language class or a science class". (Drake and Burns, 2004)
More and more we need to encourage our students to work collaboratively and make connections that will help them with their learning. Project based learning is an approach that I have been investigating - it is an interdisciplinary approach where students can work on a project that starts with a driving question set by the teachers. The teachers will have worked collaboratively to set a question that will have the children working in several different disciplines. Once teachers see how the key concepts are connected they see very quickly the value of this approach.
Drake, S. & Burns, R. (2004) Meeting Standards Through Integrated Curriculum. ASCD retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/103011/chapters


Great thought provoking post Jo. I agree that the interdisciplinary approach is the way project based learning will be authentic for our students. I am excited!
ReplyDeleteThis approach to learning provides an authentic context for our students. It shows how important connections are all facets of learning.
ReplyDelete