I have signed up for “The Innovator’s Mindset” MOOC, which is happening over a six week period, two of which have already been, so I am chasing my tail a bit. However I have challenged myself to commit to this, in an effort to blog more, help me reflect on my current practice and also because I bought this book after seeing it being tweeted about last year - and every time I pick it up I feel like George is actually talking to me!
Change is an opportunity to do something amazing - How are we embracing change to spur innovation in our own context?
Our Context (apologies if this is repetitive for some)
I am the Principal of St Francis of Assisi Catholic School in Christchurch, New Zealand. We are a newly established school that opened in February this year. I am lucky to be member of an enthusiastic and effective team that is working hard to establish ourselves as the school of choice for Catholics in the Mairehau Parish area. We have wonderful new flexible learning spaces and a commitment to creating a school culture that values creativity - that embraces innovation - that encourages our students to be curious and to become creators rather than consumers of knowledge - We want to create a culture of innovation and provide great opportunities for our students - this is our challenge!
Change is an opportunity to do something amazing - I feel a huge responsibility to ensure that staff and students at our school have the chance to do something amazing. I feel like we have been blessed with these amazing spaces and an amazing opportunity to create something different for our students. That's why when I read the introduction to this book I feel challenged - and I'm not complaining.
What challenges me?
- leading a 21st Century School that has 21st Century teaching and learning - what will this look like - we are not totally sure yet and sometimes I ahve to remind myself that that is ok.
- Rolling out a 1:1 Chromebook initiative from Year 5-8 - We don't want our technology to become very expensive pencils - we want to redefine the learning that will be taking place and challenge our students to become creators rather than consumers.
- embracing and valuing creativity rather than compliance - getting our students, staff and community to embrace change.
In his foreword to this book Dave Burgess states:
"If reading this book makes you uncomfortable, fantastic! If reading it forces you to question long held and dear beliefs, wonderful!"
Reading this book reminds me of the responsibility we have to take this opportunity and make the most of it to redesign school so that we are creating a culture of creativity for our students and our staff. Reading this book does make me uncomfortable - in a good way - I am reminded not to rest on my laurels and to push forward with this challenge.


Change is your mantra Jo. You have never accepted the 'status quo' in whatever you have done. You have challenged those who have gone before you and now are certainly challenging those you are now with. Being 'uncomfortable' is driving change. You are a 21st century visionary, a leader in believing that 'change is an opportunity to do something amazing:' If you believe you can create a culture of creativity for your students and staff, then it will happen. Embrace the challenge!!
ReplyDelete