This message got 8 responses from Principal's around New Zealand - with the most helpful one showing in this example.
I have since contacted Belinda and she has emailed me her findings and a summary of the ideas that she tried when trying to increase Parent engagement.
We will be trialling these ideas over the remainder of this year.
One of the ideas is to get students to write some guest posts on the Good, Great, Innovate Blog - to make a start on this I asked two children to share an example they are proud of that I could post to the blog.
Good, Great, Innovate - I will send this post out via Twitter and Facebook and see if it draws a few people in. The we will start to work on the list below.
Ideas to Try:
Workshops offered on the following topics:
- the purpose of our blogs/e-Portfolios and how they fit with research and student achievement
- how to locate the blog
- how to bookmark the blog
- how to subscribe by email so they receive an email for every new post
- how to leave a comment on a blog
- the value of good quality feedback and how it can positively influence learning - no matter who it is from
- sentence starters so they didn't have to start from a blank slate and could just fill in the blanks
- how to identify the learning intentions for the work their child has shared so they have an idea of what to comment on eg when the learning intention is about writing a poem give feedback on the writing and not the handwriting or spelling or illustrations

Wow, this looks great Jo. Interesting that you received a better or more helpful response vis facebook. I look forward to you introducing me to this. The workshop ideas look like you have everything covered.
ReplyDelete